REFUGEE EXPERIENCES AND THE CLASSROOM
The IEU is showcasing the SCARF’s Insights into the Refugee Experience: the Journey of Seeking Safety, Resettlement and Adjusting to the Australian Education System - a unique teacher PD opportunity.
Introductions and presentation from SCARF/RCOA.
Community Educators (including local, national and global context).
- Two speakers from refugee backgrounds to share their lived experience of seeking refuge and resettlement in Wollongong and insights into the challenges faced by parents and students relating to the Australian Education system
- Q&A with the panel of speakers
- Teachers work in small groups to discuss how to bring refugee issues into particular teaching programs (run by IEU)
- Teacher groups to share what strategies they have come up with and discuss as a group with input from SCARF Community Education Team
- Wrap up and discussion about how to move forward from here (including details on SCARF/RCOA face to face program for schools).