MANAGING DIFFICULT CONVERSATIONS IN K TO 6 SCHOOLS – HOW TO DISCUSS WHAT MATTERS
If you are in the front line and work with parents on a regular basis then this workshop is for you. This program is ideal for teachers, coordinators, student managers, and general office staff whose role includes working with and supporting a diverse educational community, targeted for K-6 educators but relevant to all stages.
Current research shows the importance of parental involvement in school as key to their child’s progress. Kamps and Tankersley (1996), in their work examining interventions with students with behavioural and emotional problems, found the role of the parent to be a crucial part of the process. Establishing good relationships with parents and carers can at times be satisfying and at other times can be stressful and difficult for both parents and teachers. Working effectively with difficult parents requires a range of key skills that have the capacity to increase the chance for all adults to work together in a productive way.
In this workshop participants will:
· Learn to implement a ‘4 x step’ approach to facilitating courageous conversations with parents
· Explore the influences that brain chemistry and emotional states (affect) can have on challenging conversations
· Understand how to apply scripts to manage difficult conversations
· Learn how the physical environment and meeting and greeting protocols can influence how we do business with parents
· Take away the very effective LEAP approach to manage challenging parents
· Investigate the origins of conflict and how people respond and what are the preferred outcomes
Completing Managing Difficult Conversations with Parents will contribute 2 hours of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Accredited PD addressing 3.7.2; 5.5.2; 6.3.2; 7.3.2; from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
To RSVP, please click the RSVP button, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1800 467 943 or 02 8202 8900