International Women's Day 2023 events and resources
International Women's Day is commemorated each year on 8 March. It celebrates the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women everywhere.
Here's a list of events and resources for 2023.
- Sunday 26 February: Placard/Sign making day Join Newcastle Women’s Alliance at the Hunter Workers Building at 12pm to make signs for this year’s International Women’s Day march. Everyone is welcome – no artistic talent necessary! More info
- Friday 3 March: Port Stephens IWD Breakfast (8am) Join Kate Washington MP and Meryl Swanson MP for the annual Port Stephens International Women's Day Breakfast at Murrook Culture Centre Williamtown. Event info.
- Friday 3 March: UN Women Australia’s IWD Virtual Event Hub (10am) UN Women Australia will be holding our IWD events in Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, and online on Friday 3 March 2023. We are live streaming the events to a virtual platform and you can watch them live, or for a limited time afterwards, from anywhere in Australia. More info
- Friday 3 March: Equal Futures Project IWD Breakfast Newcastle (6:45am) Keynote speaker Nova Peris - Australia’s ‘lady of firsts’ - was the first Aboriginal woman elected to Federal Parliament and the first Aboriginal Australian to win an Olympic Gold Medal. More info
- Saturday 4 March: IWD March Newcastle (9:30am) Join Hunter Women on our International Women's Day 2023 Newcastle March. Meet at Gregson Park at 9.30, where we will commence our march at 10.30 am. Be sure to RSVP and share this event! See EVENT FLYER SEE PHOTOS FROM IWD NEWCASTLE MARCH
- Saturday 4 March – 21 May: Kungka Kuṉpu (Strong Women) exhibition Maitland Drawn from the collection of the Art Gallery of South Australia, Kungka Kuṉpu (Strong Women) showcases major contemporary works by celebrated women artists from the Aṉangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Lands – cultural custodians of an oral tradition that epitomises the art of storytelling. More info via Maitland Regional Art Gallery
- Wednesday 8 March Women of the Voice webinar Join a special IWD webinar to honour the incredible Women leaders of the Uluru Dialogue, discuss the Voice and the coming referendum and the hard work that has gotten us here over the past decade.
- March: IWD Movie Night Canberra (TBC) Join Unions ACT for a movie night celebrating International Women's Day. Event details coming soon.
- 8-11 March: Lismore Women's Festival The 6th Lismore Women's Festival will be taking place between 8-11 March 2023 with loads of events and workshops. The event his hosted by NORWACS, Northern Rivers Women and Children's Services Inc.
- Saturday 11 March: IWD March Sydney (11am) This year’s Sydney International Women’s Day march will be held at 11am on Saturday 11th March at Sydney Town Hall. More info
- IEU Speaks on International Women's Day
- ACTU Media Release: Unions celebrate 10 wins for women on International Women's Day
- Photos from the Newcastle International Women's Day march (4 March 2023)
- LAST CHANCE TO VIEW IT ON ABC iView! ABC will continue broadcasting Women of Steel - the film until Monday 6 March. Women of Steel is an award-winning documentary about the historic 14-year struggle fought by women to gain the right to work at the Wollongong steelworks.
- ARRANGE A FREE VIEWING FOR IWD Women of Steel will also be made available for free viewing for International Women’s Day 2023 to all sisters organising an IWD event. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange.