Supporting the independent education community

Exchange partners

United Kingdom

The exchange program to the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) provides teachers with the opportunity to each in the UK without the age restrictions that apply to working holiday visas etc.
The Commonwealth Teacher Exchange program has been running for over 100 years, initiated by the League for the Exchange of Commonwealth Teachers (LECT).

Our partner exchange organisation in the UK is now The Royal Commonwealth Society and its patron is the Queen.
TRCS is an education and youth development charity working to promote and advance educational exchange between people and institutions in different Commonwealth countries.

For further information on TRCS and its programs, look up 



In past years the IEU Teacher Exchange Program to Ontario (Canada) has been extremely popular. The majority of applicants for Ontario, and subsequently the highest proportion of successful exchanges, come from Catholic systemic schools.

Our partner exchange organisation in Ontario, the Canadian Education Exchange Foundation (CEEF), is extremely supportive of our program. CEEF is a not-for-profit charitable organisation committed to providing national and international exchange programs and services for Canadian students and educators. If you would like to find out more about the CEEF please visit their web site at

British Columbia
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
CEEF also co-ordinate exchanges for the provinces of British Columbia, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Information, as above for Ontario.

Spouses of exchange partners may also apply for an open work permit to be able to work in Canada.

This must be done at the same time as the exchange teacher's application; there is a processing fee involved. Children may attend schools in Canada but must also apply for student permits; these are also applied for at the time of the exchange teacher's application and there are fees involved (but then again, there are no school fees in Canada!)

The IEU has had an agreement with the Alberta Teachers Association for a number of years now and exchanges to Alberta are becoming more popular, especially with Catholic primary and secondary schools where the incoming teacher needs to be a Catholic. Look up or

The IEU is also hopefully of setting up an exchange program with the province of Manitoba in the near future.

United States

The IEU has an agreement with the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) and is pleased to offer exchange opportunities to the state of Colorado for our members.

CDE is the state agency for Colorado pre K-12 public education, adult literacy and state libraries. To find out more about CDE, please visit their website at


Exchange teachers require an entry/work visa. This information is provided by the IEU and the American Consulate General once an exchange is confirmed.

Spouses and children of exchange teachers are entitled to apply for a work visa in the USA. Permission to work is not automatically authorised, but is determined on a case by case basis. Fees also apply. 

International Schools in Europe

The IEU liaises with a representative of the European Council of International Schools (ECIS) and IEU applications are sent to that office for matching. International schools teach in English, so in most cases, there are no second language requirements.

Popular exchange destinations in Europe have been Germany, Holland, Belgium and Austria.

Specific exchange applicants from International schools are advertised in Newsmonth or on the website.

More Information

*The IEU assists with your visas and work permits; and gives assistance with regards to taxation, travel and financial arrangements. If you would like to apply, please call Helen Gregory on 8202 8900 or 1800 467 943. 

For more information on the program, check out this website or email Helen   with a brief profile.